Sunday, July 19, 2009

Having a large family can save you money

Don't believe it? Then let me share my Friday experience with you.

The kids and I were at the mall, when I decided that I wanted to look in a jewelry store for a necklace. There was a HUGE sale going on, so I thought it was worth a shot.

Everything was gaudy and huge. I asked the saleswoman if they had anything small and delicate - much more my style in terms of jewelry. (I like simple, delicate, elegant.) She directed me to the clearance counter. Score! Clearance is definitely up my alley!

There I found a small diamond necklace that looks like THIS. Except mine is done in yellow gold.

The lady broke down the discount for me (50% off, plus another 30% off), and it quickly went from a nearly-$300 necklace to a mere $101! Then she offers me the lifetime warranty on the necklace, which was incredibly reasonable.

After some hemming and hawing, even leaving the mall at one point, I went back to buy the necklace. She tells me the total is only $113. I questioned her, because that was less than what it should have been.

She smiled and said, "I gave you an extra 10% off." When I pressed her for a reason, she just smiled and said, "Because I wanted to." I pressed again (I know, some of you are saying, "Just shut up and take it!"), but I was very curious. That was the 3rd discount!

She finally just said, "Well... you have five kids."

So there you have it. Who says having a lot of kids is too expensive? It actually saved me some money!

2 comments:

  1. I know you already told me this, but I still laughed. That is just too funny!

    ReplyDelete