Monday, July 27, 2009

It all boils down to: I've just gotta DO it.

With 5 small children, finding time to make it to the gym, any gym, is pretty impossible for me. Especially since my husband is often traveling for the Army, and even now is deployed. So I decided to take matters into my own hands. I have begun building my own little "gym."

I have a treadmill and a special chair to help with sit ups (I'll explain that in a moment.) I think the next thing I'll buy is set of small dumbbells. I need to bulk up this pitiful set of arms I have.

I have the most awesome set up for my treadmill. I knew I wouldn't just get on there for an hour and keep walking. No scenery but the wall in front of me. Simply music is a no-go. So I've tweaked and experimented until...! I have rigged my portable dvd player to the console of my treadmill and now I watch movies while I walk!

As for the special chair: I have a bad back, and sit ups strain my lower back muscles. This chair takes the strain off my back and isolates my tummy muscles. It also helps me not strain my neck. Is there anyone else out there like me who ends up using their neck too much when trying to do sit ups?

Now, I've only had these things about 2 months. So have I seen incredible results? No, but I know it is good for me and WILL yield results... if I can just keep at it.

Even with my beautiful set up of watching movies and old tv shows on dvd, I still have to get on there and just DO it.

Sometimes, self-discipline is hard to muster up. It's like a warped circle. What is the key to self-discipline? Well, bottom line is you still just have to make yourself do it. So the key to self-discipline is to have the self-discipline to develop self-discipline. Wha-?

1 comment:

  1. "So the key to self-discipline is to have the self-discipline to develop self-discipline."

    Shucks! You mean I have to have self-discipline to have self-discipline?


    BTW--was your neighbor shocked by the lasagna?

    ReplyDelete